Monday, March 15, 2010

Boiled Supper

Sunday morning was spring forward, and the culmination of this with a little too much to drink the night before, a fallen tree in the driveway, and the continued stormy weather caused me to move much slower than usual. After re-heating an old burrito for breakfast and drinking a couple cups of coffee in quick succession, I decided to venture down the driveway to assess the tree situation and any other possible damage from Saturday night's storm. I stared at the tree for a few minutes before shoving it with my hip thinking that just maybe I could move it myself. But after looking at it a little bit longer it was apparent that to move it would definitely require a chainsaw- and like, a man. Or a bad-ass lady, the definition of which I was anything but at 11 o’clock yesterday morning.
So instead I opted to give into isolation and an extended mid day bath. This was an exceptionally good idea. An hour later I emerged, warm and pruney, only to see the neighbors car drive slowly up the driveway, signaling that someone else had taken the initiative to move the tree. I admit a small part of me was disappointed because, you know, no more excuses.
When Rose called at 3 o’clock I was still doing absolutely nothing. Wait, that’s not true, I was doing something but I am not going to tell you what it was because it’s too embarrassing. I shouldn’t of even written that part. I should delete all of this. Oh the regret. Anyway, let’s just say I was watching TV when Rose called to tell me that our friend Katie was making boiled cabbage and corned beef for dinner and was I interested in going over.
Yes, I said, I very much was.
Two minutes later Katie called to tell me the same thing, and I told her I already knew and that I was already coming.
Corned beef and cabbage is one of those things that as a child I found utterly repulsive, but as an adult I find exceptionally satisfying and delicious. It’s so simple! And with a little vinegar over the boiled vegetables, some extra salt, and a squirt of mustard for the brisket (on a windy night) it is supreme. Katie, good Irish girl that she is, made this boiled supper with the expert's touch, and I have to admit I was feeling pretty in love with her by the end of the night for feeding me such sustaining food. It was one of those meals that unexpectedly nourishes more than just the stomach.
Boiled Corned Beef and Cabbage Supper a la Katie Martin
3 lbs. corned beef brisket
2 Tbs. pickling spices
2 onions, quartered
6-8 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
1-2 cabbages cut into 6-8 wedges
Put the brisket, pickling spices, and onion in a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until the brisket is cooked through (this will take about 2-3 hours).
Take the brisket out of the pot and transfer to a baking sheet. Put the brisket in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, just enough time to crisp up the outside of the brisket. Meanwhile, put the remaining vegetables into the pot, cover, and boil about 20 minutes, until all the veggies are nice and tender.
Transfer the vegetables onto a platter, cut up the brisket and serve! A little vinegar for the veggies and some mustard is a tasty added touch.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! boiled dinners are delicious! and I wish I had been stranded in the house with you this weekend sophie, we would have had such an amazing stormy dance party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with you too Sophie! I'm so glad you decided to come over. Seeing those pictures just makes me hungry all over again!

    ReplyDelete